Gain a deeper understanding of materials and construction at IMI's 2018 Fall/Winter Hands-On Training Workshop Series! Each workshop qualifies for 4 LU's/HSW's.
The workshops are free and include lunch, but registration is required. Complete the form on the right to reserve your spot. Capacity is limited to 25 attendees per workshop.
BAC Local #2
21031 Ryan Road
Warren, MI 48091
Topics & Dates
Workshops will be held from 8:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Attendees should dress comfortably and wear closed toed shoes.
Grouting and Cold Weather Masonry
November 8, 2018
Presented by: Skip-Mariano DiGiovanni and Maria Alvaro
Gain an understanding of industry guidelines for cold weather masonry construction, including proper precautions and innovative techniques and technologies. Attendees will also learn how building masonry wall systems in cold weather impacts the bottom line.
Attendees will also learn industry guidelines for cold weather masonry construction. Innovative ideas and technologies will be discussed.Topics include:
- Grouted masonry, the effects of cold weather, and precautions
- The additional costs of building masonry wall systems in cold weather and how it affects the bottom line
During the Hands-On portion, participants will install reinforcement, place grout in CMU cells and consolidate the grout. In addition, they will lay both wet and dry block and use various methods to protect work from cold weather.
Flashings and Air Barriers
December 6, 2018
Presented by: Skip-Mariano DiGiovanni and Doug Barron/Amanda Gray
Learn what flashings are, their primary function, and how they used. Topics include:
- Various types of flashings and the materials flashing can be made from
- How flashing can be used for various purposes
During the hands-on portion, attendees will learn how to install flashing correctly.
Attendees will also learn the basics of air barriers as a system. Topics include:
- Attributes of an air barrier, terminology, materials, moisture control, energy conservation, and installation.
- Key air barrier interfaces
Participants will install air barriers during the hands-on portion of the workshop.
Structural Masonry and Bracing
January 31, 2019
Presented by: Scott Walkowicz and Phil Lendent
Learn about the benefits of structural masonry – including cost and schedule efficiencies – through case studies featuring projects where masonry was used as all or part of the structure.
- Initial period requirements from Standard Practice: the effects of CMU density, wall thickness, and grout spacing
- Intermediate period requirements from Standard Practice
- Wall stability, internal wall bracing, and the effects of masonry strength, grout spacing, and reinforcement
- Wall stability and external wall bracing, safe brace loads, and foundation requirements
- Global wall stability, effects of trench vs. wall footing, footing depth, and footing width
During the hands-on portion, attendees will build a structural masonry wall and install internal bracing.
For more information contact Maria Alvaro at (248) 449-2689 or email@example.com
Each workshop in the series meets AIA/CES criteria for 4 LU/HSW learning units, which will be reported directly to AIA.