Gain a deeper understanding of materials and construction at IMI's 2018 Fall/Winter Hands-On Training Workshop Series! Each workshop qualifies for 4 LU's/HSW's.
The workshops are free and include lunch, but registration is required. Complete the form on the right to reserve your spot. Capacity is limited to 25 attendees per workshop.
BAC Local #2
21031 Ryan Road
Warren, MI 48091
Topics & Dates
Workshops will be held from 8:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Attendees should dress comfortably and wear closed toed shoes.
Structural Masonry and Bracing
January 31, 2019
Presented by: Scott Walkowicz and Phil Lendent
Learn about the benefits of structural masonry – including cost and schedule efficiencies – through case studies featuring projects where masonry was used as all or part of the structure.
- Initial period requirements from Standard Practice: the effects of CMU density, wall thickness, and grout spacing
- Intermediate period requirements from Standard Practice
- Wall stability, internal wall bracing, and the effects of masonry strength, grout spacing, and reinforcement
- Wall stability and external wall bracing, safe brace loads, and foundation requirements
- Global wall stability, effects of trench vs. wall footing, footing depth, and footing width
During the hands-on portion, attendees will build a structural masonry wall and install internal bracing.
For more information contact Maria Alvaro at (248) 449-2689 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Each workshop in the series meets AIA/CES criteria for 4 LU/HSW learning units, which will be reported directly to AIA.